comments

Folsom A to Z: Folsom Union High School

By: Rachel Zirin, Senior Reporter
-A +A

Editor’s note: Folsom A to Z is an intermittent series in the Telegraph where readers can learn facts and history about Folsom. Each week, the Telegraph will select a landmark, place, historical figure and major historical event that start with the next letter of the alphabet. This week we continue with “U.”

  • In 1922 what is now the Landmark Baptist Church (originally a Methodist Church and then Folsom Community Presbyterian Church) was used for the first high school classes in Folsom – Folsom Union High School.
  • The faculty consisted of Mr. C. L. Hargrave, principal, and Miss May Crosno, teacher.
  • The school had only 26 students – all freshmen. 
  • The high school continued in the church during 1923.
  • In 1924, classes were held in the IOOF building.
  • In November of 1924, the students moved into the recently constructed Folsom Union High School. 
  • By that time, the student population had nearly tripled and there were five faculty on staff. 
  • In 1926, the first class of 12 students graduated.
  • This beautiful school was mostly destroyed by a fire on June 22, 1959. 
  • The fire destroyed most of the original buildings, which included the girls' gym, administrative offices, four class rooms, library and the home economics room. 
  • The high school was rebuilt on the same site, between Riley and Bidwell Streets, and Persifer and Coloma Streets, and completed by May of 1964.
  • In the spring of 1965, an Olympic size swimming pool and diving pool were added to the campus.