Vista track athletes start season with strong performance at Sac StateBy: Staff Report
Vista del Lago opened its track and field season at the Sac State Classic Saturday and several athletes turned in outstanding performances.
The top performers highlighted by Coach Mike Kozlowski are listed below.
* Senior Jarrett Giordano had two new personal records and both were significant improvements. He added almost two feet to his triple jump record and dropped nearly a full second from his 110 hurdle time. He is now fifth best all time for Vista in both events, with plenty of time to continue improving.
* Seniors Christian Peralta and Mike Slayton each set a new personal record in the pole vault and took turns pushing the school record up the standards Saturday. Peralta cleared 12 feet and Slayton cleared 13 feet.
* Senior Jennifer Morgan set a new personal record in the high jump at 4-feet, 8-inches and grabbed a tie for second-best all-time for Vista.
* Noah Boerstra, a freshman, placed fourth overall in the 110 hurdles in the varsity men's division at the meet in his first ever high school race and claimed the third spot on the school record board.
* Both the boys and girls 4-x-100-meter relay teams finished fifth and the boys’ 4-x-400-meter relay team finished sixth out of 36 teams at the meet, a very strong showing given the excellent competition.
* Finally, virtually every distance runner who competed Saturday ran a persona-best time. First among them was sophomore Kyle Chun, running the 1,500 meters in 4 minutes, 21.76 seconds, which is the second-best time ever for Vista.