ORANGEVALE, CA - Just before 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 9, Metro Fire crews were called to the 8300 block of Alaterna Court in Orangevale for a report of smoke from a residence. While units were en route, they could see a large column of black smoke, growing in size. First arriving crews found a motor home well involved with fire, parked alongside a residence. The fire had already extended into the kitchen area of the first floor, the second floor, and the attic.
As the fire continued to intensify, crews launched an aggressive fire attack, both on the motor home and inside the residence. As more firefighters arrived, they began ventilating, evacuating, and searching for victims. Additional crews protected the neighbors’ house, only a few feet away from the motor home. Twenty-four firefighters worked together to extinguish both fires and prevent the neighbor’s house from fire damage.
Arson Investigators on scene believe the fire started in the motor home, which was completely destroyed. Firefighters were able to save roughly $150,000 in personal property, though the fire did significant damage to the home. The neighboring house was completely saved, sustaining only a broken window. No firefighters or civilians were injured.
The home involved in the fire, and the family impacted, is a Metro Fire employee, according to officials. Nearly two-thirds of home fire deaths are in homes with no working smoke alarms. Fire officials recommend testing smoke alarms every month, and change the batteries when clocks are changed for daylight saving time.
For more information, visit www.metrofire.ca.gov.