Mother's killer still unknown

Family asks for community’s help in finding suspect
By: Penne Usher, Telegraph Correspondent
-A +A
It has been more than three months since the body of Alice Murphy was found in her Folsom home and to date no suspect has been identified in what is believed to be a homicide. The 64-year-old was found in her Creekside Manor apartment on Dec. 21. “We are pretty confident that it was a homicide,” said Jason Browning, spokesman for the Folsom Police Department. “We don’t know the cause of death and haven’t heard if any evidence was found on her at the time.” The official coroner’s report has yet to be made public, however an initial exam indicated that Murphy suffered serious injuries to her head and face as well as fractured ribs. Murphy lived alone and had been recovering from injuries she sustained during a fall in her apartment. “She was in a weakened state because of the injuries that prevented her from raising her arms above her shoulder,” said Mark Judish, Murphy’s son. Although she was still recovering and was required to wear a neck brace, Judish said his 5-foot 1-inch mother would have tried to protect herself. “She was a small woman, but I know she would have tried to fend off someone,” he said. Judish last saw his mother on Saturday, Dec. 19, when she visited his Orangevale home. She left with a friend around 2 p.m. and returned to her home around 8 p.m.  Murphy reportedly left a phone message for her friend around 9:30 p.m. That was the last time anyone heard from her. The friend arrived the following Monday for a visit before heading to back to the Bay Area and found Murphy’s body, Judish said. There was no sign of forced entry and officials are not saying whether or not any items were taken from the home. Rhonda Walker, Murphy’s daughter who lives in Reno, said last week that the family believes investigators are doing all they can to find her mother’s killer. “We are being very patient. We believe the Folsom police have been extraordinary,” Walker said. The family believes the littlest victims in the case are Murphy’s two granddaughters, Ashley Judish, 7, and her 4-year-old sister Presley, who saw their grandmother at least twice a week. “My daughters miss their Nana,” Mark Judish said. “This has been especially difficult for my oldest daughter.”  The family is looking for answers and would like anyone who may have information about Murphy’s death to contact local law enforcement. “We are pretty confident somebody knows something and they need to come forward,” Judish said. Murphy would have celebrated her 65th birthday April 10.