Folsom Fury win third tourney in a row

By: Special to the Telegraph
-A +A
The Folsom Fury, an under-16 boys soccer team, improved to 13-1 on the season by winning a third consecutive tournament on Aug. 29 in San Francisco. Folsom needed to get three convincing wins in the qualifying games at the Soccer by the Bay Tournament to have a chance to continue their remarkable run of wins and tournament victories. Folsom is quickly getting better on defense with the boys really gelling as a unit and they have developed a reputation for being very stingy this season, giving up an average of only a little more than one goal per tournament, while averaging 4.6 goals per game offensively. Folsom's superb defense is led by Danny Jacobs, Jarrett Giordano, Griffen Galvin, Nathan LeMay and Devin Farnan with tremendous support from Folsom's defensive midfielders led by Brandon Riel, Will Stewart, Daniel Bonal, Nathan Pavao and Christian Gonzalaz. With Folsom's defense shutting down their opponents attacks and stripping the ball, Fury midfielders quickly launch counterattacks that keep the other teams on their heels and off balance, allowing Fury strikers, led by Alex Ford, Lane Reisig, Nick Michaels, Jordan Fuller and Wahib Ead, to score early and often. Once they get a lead, the Fury gets even tougher defensively and has been unmatched in intensity so far this season, but that changed on Sunday afternoon in the championship game. The Fury faced East Bay's East Diablo Impact 94 for all the marbles. Both teams featured tremendous speed and skill at all positions, unbelievable defenses, excellent agility and quickness, fantastic teamwork, disciplined and lethal offenses, a passion to win and real down in the dirt toughness. With the championship on the line, the referees "let the boys play" and boy it was a very physical game with numerous injuries and yellow cards for both squads and even one red card and a broken arm to boot. Fortunately for Folsom the broken arm and red card were suffered by East Diablo. The teams battled to a scoreless second overtime before Folsom broke through. Three minutes into the second and final overtime period, Alex Ford took a high lob pass above the penalty box, single handedly beat three Impact defenders and had the goalie right where he wanted him, one-on-one at the 6-yard box, and Ford slipped the ball into the back of the net despite a fantastic save effort by the Diablo goalie for 1-0 Fury lead. With time not on their side and nothing to lose, the Impact pulled their goalie onto the playing field, leaving the net empty. Despite numerous and furious Diablo attacks and several corner kicks in the final seconds of the game. Folsom's defense came up huge, turning back attack after attack by remaining disciplined and determined, forming a impenetrable wall the Impact simply could not break.