Folsom Fury claim District IV title

-A +A
Folsom’s U19 Fury wrapped up a successful season in grand fashion, winning the District IV Championship over the Elk Grove U19 Heat. It was not easy with several key Folsom players out injured, a couple lost to injury during the game and a good Elk Grove team playing on their home turf. Folsom controlled the game throughout the first half and despite many good looks at the goal, it remained 0-0 at halftime. Folsom stepped it up in the second half and scored five minutes in when Luc Bugbe tracked down a rebound from a hard shot on goal by Folsom’s Jordan Fuller and hammered it home from 20 yards out. Elk Grove began to press much harder and play much more aggressively. Folsom could not seem to control play like they did in the first half and when they matched Elk Grove’s aggressive play, Folsom was called for repeated fouls and yellow cards. With a multitude of corner kicks and direct kicks from fouls, Elk Grove still could not score on the Fury defense anchored by Tate Chambers, Brandon Riel and Brandon Maddox. Folsom staged several strong counter attacks, including a late attack led by forward Lane Reisig, middie Will Stewart and Fuller from the right side. Reisig's perfect pass led Fuller to the right corner of the penalty box and as Fuller was in position to attempt a scoring shot, he was smashed to the ground by an Elk Grove defender. No foul was called and Fuller lost his cool and retaliated, but picked up his second yellow card of the game, which meant his day was over. With Folsom now down a player and playing 10-on-11, Elk Grove became even more aggressive and after what seemed like 50 minutes -- Elk Grove tied the score 1-1 on yet another direct kick with a minute remaining. Folsom goalie Anthony Cammarota, who had played a great game to that point, stepped up big time in the penalty kick shootout. After two successful PK's by each team, Cammarota dove hard left and blocked Elk Grove's third attempt. Both teams made their fourth PK. Cammarota then made a great dive to the right causing Elk Grove's fifth kick to carom off the right post and out of play. Folsom's Hunter Symon calmly and confidently closed out the championship when he drilled the ball in the upper right corner of the net giving Folsom the championship, 4-3, in the shootout.