Just another Tuesday

By: Rachel Zirin, Senior Reporter
-A +A

The other week I had my schedule planned out – get off work, go to the gym for 30 minutes, eat a meal, shower, go to the City Council meeting by 6:30 p.m. and hopefully get home by 7:30 p.m.

Well, this didn’t happen. I have never mastered this plan on a Tuesday.

Tuesday is deadline day, which means that all content must be in by the time I leave. Design of the newspaper starts promptly Wednesday morning.

When I say all content, I mean everything I write, everything Bill writes, all photos Bill and I take must be edited, all submissions, columns, staff reports must be read and proofed and the layout design of what goes where must be done and in a folder on our company’s server by the time I leave. Bill usually stays late to finish some photos and layout design. I must manage my time efficiently to get this all done.

The nights City Council meetings occur, I must leave a little early to balance out my hours, but this never works for me.

Somehow, I not only stay past the original time I am supposed to leave, but I stay past the full eight hours and then some.

By the time I left the office on that Tuesday is was 5:40 p.m. Normally, I would have been totally fine on time except I needed to eat a meal which was at home. While I do live in the neighborhood across from my gym, it takes me between 20-25 minutes to get to City Hall from my house due to everyone and their mom driving on the road at the same time. I also needed to allow time to get home and eat. There was no time! I was so sad.

Instead of going to the gym, I went home to have a meal and I made it to city council just in time.

I decided that I would ‘gym’ (I always use it as a verb. i.e. I will be ‘gymming’ later) after the meeting. The agenda didn’t seem long so I was just assuming.

Not only did this meeting not get out when I wanted, it was still going on when I left! I left at 9 p.m. as my attendance was no longer necessary. Check out my article from the meeting called 'South of 50 debate heats up.' Juicy stuff.

By the time I was on my way out, it was far too late to ‘gym,' but when it came time to turn left into my development or right into the gym parking lot I said, ‘Screw it,’ and I went to go run.

The gym was packed with all the teenage dudes downstairs lifting their heavy weights, but upstairs was desolate.

Side note: There is nothing that bothers me more at the gym than when there are a million empty treadmills or ellipticals, and someone has to get on the one right next to me. I always think, ‘Is this really necessary? Should I move so you’re more comfortable? Did you have to pick this exact one?”

Anyway, like I stated in a previous column, there is one treadmill in the whole gym that has suspension, which means it has springs that absorb the impact, so your joints or shin splints aren’t affected by it.

The only person in the entire room of treadmills was on the one right next to the one I wanted. What did I do? I got on it very awkwardly.

I’m not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but the dude immediately got off and left after I turned mine on.

I did my cardio, left and get home by 9:45 p.m. Obviously, after I worked out I had to eat, so I was up far passed my bed time that night.

Moral of the story: I don’t have one. I just wanted to share this with you because I hate when people get on the treadmill next to me. Hehe.

Rachel Zirin is the Reporter for the Folsom Telegraph and can be reached at