comments

Folsom A to Z: John H. “Bud” and Artie Davies

By: Rachel Zirin, Senior Reporter
-A +A

Editor’s note: Folsom A to Z is an intermittent series in the Telegraph where readers can learn facts and history about Folsom. Each week, the Telegraph will select a landmark, place, historical figure and major historical event that start with the next letter of the alphabet. This week we continue with “D.”

  • Artie Mae Coffey was born on May 7, 1913 in Manzanar.
  • Artie’s family came to the Folsom area in the early 1920s when her father lost his job working for the railroad near Death Valley.
  • An arbitrary decision to camp near Deer Creek changed her life when the family decided to settle on 15 acres of Mormon Island. Artie was 8 years old.
  • Artie met John Henry “Bud” Davies during her high school years while working at the Cavitt Ranch.
  • The two eloped in Reno in 1932, when Artie was 19 years old.
  • Bud worked for a dredging company for a couple of years and in 1936, he decided to start a dairy farm. 
  • The Davies Jersey Dairy was built on 5 acres owned by the Natomas Water and Mining Co. on Green Valley Road.
  • After seven years, the Natomas Co. wanted to dredge the property and the Davies moved their dairy to the site of the former Red Bank Winery nearby and expanded it to 245 acres.
  • Bud moved their house with his tractor to the new location. 
  • Later, the couple was forced off their property again when the Folsom Dam was built. 
  • They, again, moved their house to Natoma Street.
  • Bud became "mayor" of Sutter Street by offering his energy and imagination to its renovation after the majority of its business moved to Bidwell Street in the 1950s.
  • Artie served as the Folsom city clerk from 1954 until 1978.
  • Artie and Bud were instrumental in saving as much as they could of the old Wells Fargo Bank building when it was about to be torn down in 1959. 
  • In 1976, the building was reconstructed, which is now the home of the Folsom History Museum.
  • In 1963, Bud and City Administrator Tom Llewellyn put up the first gaslights on Sutter Street.
  • She was a 4-H club leader for several years and belonged to a quilting club that made quilts for needy families.
  • Both Bud and Artie were members of the Chamber of Commerce, the United Rescue Grange and the Folsom Historical Society where Bud served a term as president.
  • In 1975, Bud Davies was named “Man of the Year” by the Chamber of Commerce. 
  • Bud passed away on June 20, 1983.
  • Artie passed away in late 2016.
  • Bud and Artie Davies Park was named in their honor.