Falcon soccer teams split doubleheader

-A +A

The Falcons let one slip away on Tuesday afternoon.  Playing against undefeated and No. 2 ranked Sierra College, the Falcons’ 1-0 halftime lead disappeared with two second-half Wolverine goals, as Sierra retained their hold on first place with a tense 2-1 victory.

 Sophomore Alhan Bakideh put the Falcons ahead midway through the first half, as she dribbled around and through the Sierra defense, then stuck the ball in the net for her fourth goal of the season.  Meanwhile, goalkeeper Izzy Chinchay was busy keeping the Wolverines from scoring.  Early in the second half, Chinchay made what looked like a great stop as she dove to her right, but the ball squirted out of her grasp in front of the goal and was promptly knocked in by an opportunistic Wolverine.  That bit of momentum lifted the visitors, who then took advantage of a lucky bounce or two for their second goal.  A free kick from near the corner careened off several players from both sides before eventually finding its way into the net, with no one sure who actually scored the goal.  Buoyed by their good fortune, the Wolverines tightened their defense to hang on for the 2-1 win. 

It was a disappointing loss for the Falcons, who looked very capable of pulling off the upset.  The Falcons now find themselves tied for fourth in the Big 8 at 4-2.  They’ll travel to Modesto on Friday to take on the Pirates (1-5 in Big 8) at 3:30 p.m.


Men’s soccer

In the second part of Tuesday’s doubleheader at Falcon Stadium, the FLC men rode a strong first half to a 3-1 victory over district rival American River. 

The Falcons opened the scoring in the 12th minute with another goal by sophomore Miguel Medina, his 11th of the season.  The Beavers answered back with a beautiful header in the 40th minute to tie the score at 1-1.  That tie didn’t last long however, as the Falcons essentially put the game away in the closing minute of the first half with two goals less than a minute apart for a 3-1 lead.  Freshman Dylan Huft scored the first one (assisted by Medina) before sophomore Erik Mattice launched a long one into the net from 30 yards out just 45 seconds later.  The disconsolate Beavers could not recover, and the Falcon defense made sure they wouldn’t score. 

The win lifted the Falcons into a tie for second place in the Big 8 with Santa Rosa, whom they will face on Friday afternoon at Falcon Stadium.